About Armada Technologies
Armada Technologies aim to use innovative thinking and design to deliver new products to reduce the impact of merchant ship operations on our planet. Less hydro carbon fuel burned means lower carbon emissions.
Armada Technologies is developing a largely passive “air lubrication system” (ALS/PALS) to significantly reduce merchant ship fuel consumption.
An air lubrication system is a method used to reduce the resistance between the ship’s hull and seawater by using air bubbles. The air bubble distribution across the hull’s surface reduces the resistance working on the ship’s hull, thereby allowing the vessel to sail through seawater with lower resistance.
How Armada Technologies can help you?
ALSs have emerged as one of the leading options in assisting ships achieve EEXI and CII compliance. The general operative principle behind an ALS is the delivery of bubbles under the ship’s hull to create a layer of aerated water to reduce drag between the hull and seawater, which consequently reduces fuel consumption and emissions. Most ALSs use compressors which are operated continuously to replenish the air needed to produce this desired effect.
How does it work?
- A number of water inlet and outlet units are installed into the double bottom of the vessel
- Using the forward motion of the ship, water passes through the inlet and a venturi nozzle draws air from the deck level via the vacuum created
- The resulting forced water / air mixture is ejected into the hull boundary layer at the outlet of each unit
This offers an optimal blend of air and water for superior hull coverage, ensuring seamless control and drag reduction across various speeds, drafts, and weather conditions. As a result, the PALS enhances vessel performance, reduces fuel consumption, and promotes more sustainable maritime operations.
Highly efficient performance
- NO COMPRESSORS! Great energy efficiency
- PALS is targeting a very ‘flat operating curve’
- System performance is more consistent across a wide range of operating conditions
- Double-digit fuel savings is achievable
- Easy operation
- Less maintenance, inspections and overhauls
- Optimal drag reduction is aligned with ship type, prevailing speed, draft and even weather conditions
- Small installation footprint
- Short installation timeframe
Unlike traditional air lubrication systems that rely on high-energy compressors, Armada’s PALS utilizes small capacity pumps and blowers to achieve optimal bubble generation with significantly less power required.
The PALS technology is designed to enhance vessel performance, reduce fuel consumption, and promote more sustainable marine operations. This offers shipowners a system that will reduce harmful emissions and increase efficiency without compromising on vessel performance.
Armada Technologies understands the value of constant innovation, which is why they have developed a performance-augmented control system with “machine learning” capabilities. With this self-learning feature, PALS will continue to improve over time, delivering greater fuel and emission reduction benefits with every journey.
How Scanvi-Interyards work with Armada Technologies
Scanvi-Interyards represent Armada Technologies in the Norwegian market. Together with the Armada Technologies expertise we offer technical and commercial support delivering products, commissioning and support for the Armada Technologies’ ALS to Norwegian Ship Owners and Technical Managers.